Friday, July 15, 2016

Mid-Year Wardrobe Review: Oops...I did it again/ Old habits die hard


Mid-way through July and I have found myself cleaning out and reorganizing my closet again. Going over the purchases over the last few months, I have improved but I've also made several blunders yet again. 

To start, I purchased some really great vintage pieces that I've loved and worn repeatedly. I strayed away from thrift/vintage particularly when shopping online because I've typically found that it isn't how its pictured, or the fit just isn't right. I rekindled that flame when I was on the hunt for a vintage pair of Levi's. However, I did get carried away - I found myself purchasing items on a whim because they were cheap and one of a kind, so I felt the need to get it before someone else did. This lead to seem very impractical purchases, for example, vintage heels.

I'm still having trouble in figuring out what pieces are better to purchase high end vs. low end. For example, T-shirts, is there a noticeable difference in purchasing a $100 t shirt compared to a Madewell one or a pack of men's t-shirts from Hanes? Yes and no. Madewell, though the name implies great quality, is most often not. I do love their denim, leather jackets, and the t-shirts that are not part of the whisper-cotton collection. Those t-shirts compared to Hanes is significant, especially when it comes down to washing the items. The poorer quality shirt doesn't hold up well. So while a $100 t-shirt may sound ridiculous, it can be worth it in the long run. Especially so if well cut items and the quality of material is taken into account. 

I forget what is in my closet. I know this one is a repeat but it's something I'm really having trouble with. I'm trying to rearrange my clothes so that they are more visible and choosing outfits because simpler. The example, my Uniqlo and Monki trench coat. Two different silhouettes, though a trench nonetheless. The Uniqlo falls mid-thigh, a-line, with a single line of buttons. The Monki falls mid-calf and is  double breasted. Both are beautiful but for whatever impulsive and unnecessary reason, I purchased them without remembering that I have the perfect trench coat already - the classic Burberry Kensington trench coat. I'm considering setting up a selling page to list the superfluous items to my wardrobe. 

The other thing I've realized is that I will never be capable of having a capsule wardrobe. I've always loved the idea of simplifying my life and having less items but for clothing, it's become very difficult. I love clothes too much to resign to having a few items to wear. I like the theatrics of jumpsuits and overalls that ideally, wouldn't have their place in a capsule wardrobe. I've never attempted to live by a capsule wardrobe for real, though I have attempted to curate my closet so that every piece can worn with another. This is also an impractical idea for myself. My wardrobe can be curated but the idea that everything can be worn with another is not always practical. 


On the flip side, I've reached some break throughs with my wardrobe. 


I've invested in tailoring pieces. I've purchased several vintage/thrift items that I saw great potential in and had them reworked to fit my body. The pay off has been fantastic. Those are the pieces I opt for everyday. I've reworked several shirts and pants. Currently, I'm having a beautiful vintage Giorgio Armani black long jacket that is a replica of this Lemaire jacket. I'll have to post it when it's done. 

I've invested in designer. More so than I have before, I've had some luck in scoring some really great designer pieces for a fraction of the price. Having these pieces, instead of looking for alternatives to them has lead to a greater satisfaction in my wardrobe. My wardrobe feels that much more completed, though, it's never really complete, is it? I'm excited for fall to come, and while I always jump the gun when it comes to purchasing clothing for the season ahead, I'm trying very hard to hold off. Until then, I'm going to try and post some pre-fall wish lists in preparation. 




No comments:

Post a Comment